POSITION / GROUP: Honours Student in the Testis Development and Male Germ Cell Biology Research group, Centre for Reproductive HealthI WAS BORN IN: Melbourne
BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS: I completed my undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science at Monash University in 2018. My undergrad had sparked an interest in reproductive health and after a year of working and travelling in 2019, I decided to complete an honours year with Professor Kate Loveland's lab looking at male testicular development in mice.
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS: Always learning. A lot of the time this year I have felt out of my depth, however the support from my lab group has helped me learn and develop so many new skills that I know will help me in the years to come.
I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE: I was extremely interested in learning and exploring the field of research in an area that I am very passionate about. I love working with people and I think that research places a unique emphasis on collaboration with people from all different walks of life.
IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE: On a beach, living somewhere in Greece.
MY FIRST JOB WAS: Putting swimsuits back on hangers during summer at Swimwear Galore.
MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM: I just recently watched the Queen's Gambit which I absolutely loved, but I suppose a show that I could never get sick of would be Veep.
I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Taking a bit of a break and spending some time with family after submitting my thesis before I move to Sydney in the new year!
THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: Would be the experience of working with my lab group. I've learnt so much from my supervisors, Prof Kate Loveland and Penny Whiley, as well as other lab members who have helped me gain a real insight into scientific research.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO: Moving to Sydney next year to study postgraduate medicine. I have valued the experiences I've had in my honours year so much and hope that one day my career path brings me back to research in the reproductive field!
MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: Would have to be the little Greek village that my grandma is from in Mitilini. You can always count on seeing friendly, kind faces, having a good meal and lying on one of the best beaches (as well as having a nice, cold glass of ouzo).
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: Taking my little dog Louis on walks, spending time with my sisters and trying my hand at cooking new recipes. I hope that in a few weeks I can add knitting to the list, as my sister is expecting a baby so I am trying to prep some nice woollen socks and beanies.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: I would have to say this year my favourite lunch has had to be a banh mi (without coriander of course) as most weeks this year, myself and another honours student, Tyra Fraser, have frequented the Banh Mi Bakery Cafe on Clayton road for lunch. As well, I have to mention going to my grandma's house and enjoying anything she's been cooking like spanakopita, dolmades and gemista.
THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: To take each day as it comes and not worry about things far into the future. It's best to focus on what you can control now and do it the best that you can.

No comments:
Post a Comment