Monday, August 10, 2020

Hudson People | Aleks Guanizo

POSITION / GROUP: Postdoctoral Researcher, STAT Cancer Biology Research group

I WAS BORN IN: Philippines

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS: studying Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash University, with a main focus on immunology and microbiology. I later completed my Honours with Richard Ferrero (Gastrointestinal Infection and Inflammation Lab), and most recently my PhD with Dan Gough (STAT Cancer Biology Lab). During my PhD, I investigated the paradoxical roles of STAT3 in small cell lung cancer.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS: working with amazing people in the lab.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE: I was going to take a double degree in Biomedical Science and Engineering but I somehow messed up my application. Although, I'm glad I only applied for one degree (one was already hard enough). I was then going to take Medical Laboratory Science at RMIT Bundoora but I managed to get a PhD scholarship offer, so I finally decided to take on a PhD project. I'm grateful to have wonderful people supporting me in those four years.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE: an engineer. My granddad was an engineer and he inspired me growing up.

MY FIRST JOB WAS: at a takeaway shop serving customers and helping out in the kitchen.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM: There are so many. Shameless (US version) and OA, mostly shows that are on Netflix.

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON: continuing my PhD project. I'm hoping to finish a manuscript for publication on our work on STAT3-mediated suppression of small cell lung cancer metastasis via regulation of innate immune responses. Apart from this, I'm also currently investigating the role of STAT3 in metabolic reprogramming in small cell lung cancer.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: I've finally completed my PhD after four years of hard work.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO: being able to travel again, hopefully very soon once the COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.


MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: my own home!

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: watching TV shows. I also love Zumba!

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: Love Asian food, especially Vietnamese and Sri Lankan food.


THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: Being patient and persistent pays off, especially in research where 90 per cent can go wrong until we find that 10 per cent that actually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment