Tuesday, August 11, 2020

WEEK 4 or 6 Week Challenge | Pay It Forward

The Culture and Engagement’s 4th Week challenge – 'Pay It Forward' is about sharing gratitude during this current pandemic. 

There have been wonderful collective expressions of gratitude from the following entries listed below.  These shared thank you entries reflect on what is appreciated and what is important, especially now, as we are in Stage 4 restrictions. Such reflections can help us to figure out what is truly valuable in life.      


“I am grateful that despite stage 4, I have fantastic colleagues, can provide Tele-health care to patients and can still have a team huddle at the end of our clinic to discuss matters, even when half of us are working from home. Here's a screen shot of our post clinic meeting on Thursday."
Dr Stella Sarlos 



Pictured top: Dr Jun Yang and Dr Rita Upreti (just offscreen).
Pictured bottom Dr Jasna Aleksova and myself in the bottom corner.

“Now that we are in stage 4 restrictions, I am grateful for full-time daddy day-care."  A/Prof Michelle Tate



FLASHBACK | 4 June 2020

“The week before restrictions would be lifted and I could finally come back into the lab again. Most students would be ecstatic; however, my spirits were dampened by the fact that my legs had begun to experience paralysis. The doctor told me I had Guillain Barre Syndrome, an uncommon disease where the body’s immune system reacts to a pathogen but ends up attacking the nerves. A pandemic and a neurological disease aren’t exactly a great start to the year. 

The only reason I got through that period was owing to a few people in my life. I informed my honours supervisor, Jaclyn Pearson, about my condition as soon as I was diagnosed. She told me to not worry about lab work but to only focus on getting better. That no matter what, she would help me get through honours year. The support and confidence she instilled in me is what calmed my fears about falling behind in my degree. Three days into my hospital stay, a courier came with a box of chocolates and a get-well card from my lab! 

Last, but not least, I owe my speedy recovery to the support, love and comfort from my soulmate and partner. Each day she would arrive 30 minutes before visiting hours and wait in the cold just to beat the queue. She accompanied me to rehab sessions and when I lost faith, she always made me smile. My gratitude goes to the special people whose acts of kindness gave me hope. Hope that was my flashlight in the dark. Stage Four? 

Bring it on! I know I will get through this, for I’m not alone.”
Sahampath Hettiarachchi


“Thank you for organising these events that keep us engaged and make us feel included. 

I express gratitude for being blessed with a creative hobby which keeps me busy on weekends and gives me a place to go to when we are banned from leaving our houses! 

This is a painting that I am still adding the final touches to from a photo of a beach in a Malaysian island. ‘The swing’ is a 61x 61 cm acrylic painting that depicts a deserted swing that is waiting for us to go and enjoy once the situation we are in is all over. 

"Hope" is another thing that I express gratitude for as it gives us dreams to live for.”
Dr Mai Sarraj


“I like this challenge.  Thanks for helping bring the more positive aspects of our current lives to the forefront of our minds! 

I'm grateful for the strengthening of my daughters' (age 10 and 7) relationship throughout the recent lockdown period, and throughout all of 2020. They never had a particularly close relationship, despite the earnest efforts of the younger one!  Clashing over everything and fighting was the norm, and this year could easily have been full of fighting, anger and tears for all of us. But it's been lovely at home.  

As I type this, I hear them chatting away happily while one is in the bath, pretending to be dogs, singing songs, etc. They may come out of this time with a few too many inside jokes that the other kids won't get and may take a while to adjust to playing with other kids again, but we'll sort that out at the other end!”
Steph Forman



“So grateful that my parents are in a good place, are safe and well during COVID-19. In March this year, my brother and I managed to finally get Mum and Dad into aged care. We’re so lucky – we finalised all the necessary paperwork and got them in aged care on time! I count my blessings every day they are getting looked after by the fantastic staff at the aged care facility they live in.”
Linda Peake 

“After having a serious bike accident last weekend, I am overwhelmingly grateful to the care I received from the ambulance paramedics and staff at the Alfred Hospital. 

"My expectation was that they would be all garbed in PPE and very careful of going near me. But for them it was business as usual during these COVID times. They were so pragmatic about the threat to their health and were caring and thoughtful. 

“Hospital life goes on” was the comment. Personally, I was overwhelmed by the support and wishes from my colleagues and friends. Everyone is going through their own tough times at the moment, but they were all there for me.”
Ann Scott


“I'm grateful for Liz for sending out the daily memes!"
Dr Eveline de Geus



“During my undergraduate years, my mother compiled a handwritten and illustrated cookbook containing our favourite family recipes, and the stories of their origin. 

Some of these recipes have been in the family for generations! She gave me a printed copy when I was in my first flat, and it has moved with me many times. 

Over the weekend I attempted to make the cherry cake I remember my Granny baking when I was young and was delighted with the way it turned out. Having a snack with my afternoon knitting, I read the source and realised it wasn't just the cake our family have all enjoyed - knitting appears to go well with this recipe! With my family in NZ, I was grateful to have this book, as cooking from it made me feel like my family was with me, no matter how far apart we may be.”
Jennifer Hutchison


“I am so grateful for my three boys who cook dinner on Monday nights so that I can join the weekly Joey Scouts Zoom session!”
Dr Jun Yang


“So grateful to have Dad’s homemade dumplings (which he made while babysitting the kids ... one grandson took photos instead of online learning!) after a day at work. Family keeps us going.”
Dr Jun Yang



We're all in this together!
Culture and Engagement Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment