Postdoc for Kate Lawlor in the CiiiD, also the new Hudson Institute Student Recruitment Coordinator
I WAS BORN IN
I WAS BORN IN
Australia
BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS DOING
Living the expat life as a postdoc in Singapore. And prior to that I was
studying at WEHI and University of Melbourne.
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Working with people to do things that have never been done before.
I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
I am always looking for new things to learn and new ways to challenge
myself.
IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE A
Doing something that is creative and working with my hands. Maybe an
artist or a seamstress.
MY FIRST JOB WAS
Waitress at a local café.
MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS
Muriel’s wedding
I AM WORKING ON
How cells die. In the cell
death and inflammatory signalling group we study the different pathways of cell
death and how they alter complex signalling pathways that drive disease. At the
moment I’m focussed on how different types of cell death contribute to the
progression of type II diabetes.
THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
Taking nearly 3 weeks off over Christmas and not leaving Melbourne, I
had so many fun projects on the go.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD
To getting to know more
people through-out the Hudson Institute as I work on the student open days and
also running the Hudson Institute work experience program.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
At the moment it’s Melbourne, where my friends and family are.
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Having too many projects on
the go; knitting jumpers for myself (3 in the last 4 months), making leather
watchstraps, sewing clothes, making fresh pasta, crocheting macrophages, knitting
dinosaurs, reading nearly a book a week.


MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
I’m newly back in Melbourne and am mostly vegetarian, so am looking for
recommendations for good veg places!
WHAT’S ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO EMERGING RESEARCHERS?
You are the most important part of your PhD so make sure you prioritise
yourself. Do things that advance your career prospects, take time to have a
life outside of your projects, invest in your friendships and relationships,
seek out people who you think are doing good things and ask them to be a mentor
to you.

No comments:
Post a Comment