THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Hanging out with the most awesome group of people.
I CHOOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
It was the better option at the time - checkout operator at Safeway or work in a medical research lab … it was a hard and difficult decision that I ponder over for at least 5 seconds … that was over 22 years ago and I’m still here!
WHAT ARE YOUR REASONS FOR TAKING PART IN RUN MELBOURNE?
I’m not a big fan of running on asphalt but the chance to run with my colleagues, raise awareness and funds for the Hudson Institute has got me out back on the pavement!
WHY JOIN THE RUN MELBOURNE HUDSON INSTITUTE TEAM?
Being a part of a team is great on race day. It can be over whelming running at such a large event and having people to run with makes it so much more of an event than a ‘run’.
If you are going to go for a PB, having someone to run with and keep you on target is awesome. You may not like them while they are telling you to ‘keep going’ and ‘don’t slack off’ while you are gasping for breath, but once you have crossed that line with your PB, all that pain just floats away.
If you are going to go for a PB, having someone to run with and keep you on target is awesome. You may not like them while they are telling you to ‘keep going’ and ‘don’t slack off’ while you are gasping for breath, but once you have crossed that line with your PB, all that pain just floats away.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO RUN IN THE WORLD IS …
The Dandenongs and the region around Rotorua in New Zealand.
RUN MELBOURNE ACTIVITY
10km run and then 5km as a Run Melbourne pacer.
10km run and then 5km as a Run Melbourne pacer.
WHAT LEVEL OF RUNNER DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF?
I may run a lot and do what others consider long distances, but I’m not fast. Maybe an intermediate trail runner.
IN THE LEAD UP TO RACE DAY I WILL …
Go to the Run Melbourne training club every Tuesday night at Fed square (it’s FREE!!), go out with my running groups: TXR runners for mid week quality sessions (FREE) and weekend runs with the Lysty trail runners (FREE) and will also sneak in a trail marathon along the surf coast.
ON RACE DAY, I WILL LOOK SMASHING IN ….
My pink/purple/white Hudson Institute top, shorts that aren’t too short, my big white suunto watch, arm warmer thingie’s and a warm up top that I would have purchased from Kmart for $5 to then leave at the start line to be collected for charity.
MY FOOD / HEALTH TIPS...
Eat wholefoods and often (I try and eat every three hours), limit sugar and alcohol, drink plenty of water and, my most important tip, dark chocolate that is over 75% doesn’t count towards caloric intake so you can have as much as you like.
THE BEST FITNESS ADVICE I’VE RECEIVED …
Invest in good socks, $5 bonds ones just don’t cut it.
DO YOU HAVE ANY RACE SUPERSITIONS OR RITUALS?
I eat a banana beforehand and often need to go to the toilet numerous times!
ON RACE DAY I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO …
Going for a 10KM PB and then catching up with everyone for a well-deserved coffee and maybe a sneaky cake!
ON RACE DAY, I WILL BE HAPPY IF ….
I can go sub 50 for 10KM and make my fundraising goal
DO YOU HAVE ANY RUN MELBOURNE TIPS
You don’t have to be a ‘runner’ to do this event. Anyone that can walk and do 5km. And remember doesn’t matter how slow you go- you are faster than someone who isn’t running at all.
WHAT IS YOUR RACE GOAL?
WHAT IS YOUR RACE GOAL?
Sub 50min for the 10km and a laughter filled 5km with the 30 or 35 min/5km train.
ARE YOU FUNDRAISING, IF SO, WHY SHOULD PEOPLE SPONSOR YOU?
The money we are raising is going to towards a slide scanner that will be used by many of the different research groups at the Hudson Institute. This will enable us to scan an entire the piece of cut tissue and allow us to do analysis on much larger area in a much shorter time. Taking separate images with the current system, you may miss important structural or biochemical changes, the slide scanner eliminates this.

No comments:
Post a Comment