By Paris Papagianis, Ritchie Centre PhD Student
Last week, 70 PhD students and Early Career Researchers
from the School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health, Hudson Institute of
Medical Research and Murdoch Children’s Research Institute attended a 2-day
workshop facilitated by Prof Kurt Albertine at the MHTP Translational Research Facility.
![]() |
| Paris Papagianis |
Kurt is Professor of Neonatology, and Adjunct Professor of Pulmonary Medicine, Neurobiology and Anatomy at the University of Utah School of Medicine in Salt Lake City. He’s also editor of the peer-reviewed journal, The Anatomical Record. His own research focuses on neonatal chronic lung injury, but his advice and critique stretched way beyond this topic. In fact, he managed to stay away from his specialty altogether, making his comments relevant to everyone in the audience.
The aim of Kurt’s writing workshops is to teach researchers
how to write clearly and concisely, with specific emphasis on manuscript
preparation. I’ve been to quite a few writing workshops, but Kurt’s was
different. To start with, his kookiness was thoroughly engaging. He arrived for
day 1 wearing a moose-print tie and red spray jacket…
![]() |
| Kurt Albertine |
What Kurt taught us has actually stuck with me! I hear
Kurt’s tips and tricks every time I write (like now). I feel more confident in
my writing ability. Not only that, but I began to appreciate that I am not the
only student who struggles with writing. It was somewhat relieving to me that
other students were making similar errors to me: I‘m not alone in the
challenges I face in my PhD.
From now on, you’ll be reading better writing by the students and ECRs who attended Kurt’s workshop. Thanks to the School of Clinical Sciences, Hudson Institute of Medical Research and Murdoch Children’s Research Institute, and the NHMRC Preterm Infants Centre for Research Excellence, for the help in acquiring such a critical skill.
From now on, you’ll be reading better writing by the students and ECRs who attended Kurt’s workshop. Thanks to the School of Clinical Sciences, Hudson Institute of Medical Research and Murdoch Children’s Research Institute, and the NHMRC Preterm Infants Centre for Research Excellence, for the help in acquiring such a critical skill.


No comments:
Post a Comment