It’s been a
busy couple of weeks for me. Earlier this
month, I travelled to Germany for the International Cytokine and Interferon
Society’s annual meeting, held this year in Bamberg, a UNESCO world heritage centre in
Bavaria. It’s a pleasant, touristy town, but I didn’t get to see very much of
it, thanks to my busy conference schedule!
We heard all
the latest information about cytokines from excellent speakers, and there were around 500 to 600 attendees.
Dr Daniel Gough
won a young investigator award and gave an excellent talk. These awards are very
competitive, as you can imagine - with 500 attendees there’s only one award so we
were happy that he was acknowledged. Dr Tony Sadler also gave a well-received
talk.
I then flew to
Singapore, where I held a series of productive meetings. Firstly, I met with
the Duke University National University of Singapore (Duke-NUS) Cancer Research Group, a meeting that
was initiated largely by A/Prof Ron Firestein.
The Graduate
Medical School in Singapore is a satellite campus of Duke University in the US
and is closely connected clinically to the Singapore General Hospital, which is
just across the road.
Whilst in
Singapore, I also caught up with Aaron Irving,
a former post-doc of mine, who is doing some excellent work in the Emerging
Infectious Diseases group of the same university.I then met with an A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) Institute called the Experimental Therapeutics Centre, which was set up to advance and accelerate drug discovery in Singapore.
The ETC was
very interested in what the Hudson is doing, particularly in the cancer and
infectious disease space. As a result of this meeting, we signed a confidentiality
agreement.
The ETC will now look at developing small molecule drugs that affect targets we’ve
identified for different forms of cancer and infectious diseases.
They’re
interested collaborating here in Australia, including conducting clinical
trials in the MHTP’s new Translational Research Facility.
I look forward
to seeing where this exciting, international collaboration takes the Hudson.
Best wishes,
Bryan Williams
Director, The Hudson Institute

No comments:
Post a Comment