Monday, May 3, 2021

Hudson People | Kirstin Street

POSITION / GROUP: PhD Student, Gargett Lab, The Ritchie Centre

I WAS BORN IN: Melbourne

BEFORE WORKING AT HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS: a travel agent.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS:  
Is that every day is different and there are so many aspects of being a PhD student. I get to read, write, network, design experiments, analyse data, talk to other students and scientists, attend conferences etc.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE: 
Of my daughter; Aurora, and to be able to contribute to research in honour of all stillborn babies.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE: 
Unfulfilled.

MY FIRST JOB WAS: Serving up those 11 secret herbs n' spices!

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM: 
How I met your mother, which I've binged at least 20 times from start to finish.

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON: 
Factors that contribute to preterm stillbirth. My project includes a retrospective data analysis of preterm stillbirths over the past decade in Victoria as well as a study of menstrual fluid in women who have experienced preterm stillbirths.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: 
Getting on a plane for the first time in a year!

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO: 
My destination wedding in November!

MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: 
Namibia. I had a goal to get to 30 countries, before 30. COVID has thrown a spanner in the works for reaching that goal, but Namibia still stands out as the highlight country, because of its diversity of things to do. Within ten days, I went from a safari in Etosha NP and hanging out with the Himba tribe in the middle of the desert, to stargazing in Spitzkoppe, skydiving, dune buggy-ing, seeing the second largest canyon in the world and a wine tour along the Orange River.
 
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: Long walks with my dog, Sophie and going to Melbourne Storm games.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: 
Anywhere that serves tacos and margaritas.

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: 
Accumulate experiences and memories, not things.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment