Thursday, April 22, 2021

Hudson People | Gemma Creegan

POSITION / GROUP: Research Office Administrator

I WAS BORN IN: Manchester, UK

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE: I worked in Acquisitions in a public library and before that I worked in a law library in Canberra. Before libraries, I worked in educational publishing, taught English in Japan and temped for a few government departments.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS: 
I'm new to the job and still finding my feet.  So far I'm enjoying learning about the research that Hudson Institute is doing, as well as the grants and publications processes. Everyone has been really welcoming. The commute is a definite bonus for me as I live a 10 minute walk from the office.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE:
I had been working in libraries for a decade and was ready for a change of career. This opportunity came up which was close to home and ticked a few boxes for me. The role interested me because I felt that I could use some existing skills but also learn some new ones. I like a challenge and to keep learning on the job.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE:
A creative writer or a travel writer with Lonely Planet. I did get as far as the editing test a few years ago.

MY FIRST JOB WAS:
It would have been a summer job when I was at university in England, I did silver service waitressing at the weekends at a nearby hotel. I have to say I was pretty bad and dropped a few food items into peoples laps. Luckily they were nice about it!

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM:
I'm currently enjoying the new series of Line of Duty, its highly addictive viewing and if you have not seen it, I encourage you to binge watch the first five series.

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
I'm still new, so trying to get to grips with the research, grants and publication processes at Hudson Institute so that I can help with the workload. Also, I'm trying to remember all the medical acronyms.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR:
2021 has definitely been an improvement on 2020. I'm trying to appreciate the small things but a highlight has been getting a new job during this time and also that my friends and family are all well here and overseas.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Continuing to learn and feel settled in my new job. Hopefully some future travel here and seeing my family in the UK. A holiday to Japan at some point.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD:
This is a tough one as I have a few, obviously other than Melbourne, I have to say England, specifically Norwich where all my family are based.
 
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: Spending time with my rescue greyhound Minnie (she's a couch potato) as well as family and friends. Traveling and exploring new places, baking, reading and watching good BBC dramas.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT:
Another tricky question for me as I have a few but one of my favourites in Melbourne is Din Tai Fung for its amazing soup dumplings. I've not been for a year so definitely going soon.

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED:
I'm not really in a position to give advice as being new to the industry myself but from my own experience, I would just encourage anyone starting out in their field to gain as many transferable skills as they can, make the most of any opportunities (big or small) and keep learning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment