Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Hudson People | Yuan Chen

POSITION / GROUP: I am working as a Postdoc in the Sex Development Research Group in Centre for Endocrinology and Metabolism.

I WAS BORN IN: Shenyang, a big city in the North East of China.

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS: working in reproductive endocrinology on hermaphroditic fish at the University of Hong Kong and on mainland China. Sex change in these fish provides a good model to analyse the sex determination and gonadal differentiation. Based on morphological changes and fluctuation of plasma sex steroid hormones, I identified changes in expression levels of genes which are closely related to gonadal development, and examined their potential role in sex change.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB: I feel my work and effort are worthwhile. There is promising research to halt the progression of Parkinson’s disease in men. This will improve the quality of life of men with PD, and relieve the burden upon both healthcare professionals and family members.

EXPLAIN THE BACKGROUND OF YOUR RESEARCH: Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurodegenerative disease, with 32 Australians newly diagnosed every day. PD affects twice as many men as women. Also, the age of onset is two years earlier, and disease progression is steeper in men than women. There is no cure for Parkinson's disease, nor drugs that stop the progressive death of the cells in the midbrain that produce the dopamine needed to control voluntary movement. Current therapies only alleviate symptoms. So there is a critical need to stop the disease from progressing and we have a promising candidate gene therapy.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE: A teacher.

MY FIRST JOB WAS: Working as a Research Assistant in the University of Hong Kong. My research field there was feeding-related neuroendocrine signalling pathway in goldfish and in mice.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM: My favourite movie is ‘Flipped’.

I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Harley’s lab has identified a completely novel and unexpected disease-modifying drug target for Parkinson’s disease which is SRY (Sex-determining Region on the Y chromosome). 

Currently, I am designing and optimising humanised SRY antisense oligos which involve identifying the optimal region of SRY to target and the specific modifications that will enhance stability. Then I evaluate the ability of these molecules to ‘knockdown’ SRY in human dopaminergic neuronal cells.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: This year, our group has been funded by Perpetual in IMPACT Philanthropy Application Program. I started to work in this program in a collaboration with Professors Steve Wilton and Sue Fletcher at Murdoch University in Perth, who are experts in genetic therapy.

WHAT ARE THE EXPECTED OUTCOMES OF YOUR RESEARCH: T
he optimum humanised SRY DNA drug will be able to knockdown human SRY RNA levels by at least 50 per cent without toxic effects. The project will serve to pave the way for a first-in-human clinical trial, towards a potential disease-modifying gene therapy for men with PD. Based on the result of experimental models, the humanised SRY drug should halt the disease progression, so that the symptoms do not worsen.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: My balcony.

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: Outside of my work time, I enjoy creating and building Lego bricks. Right now, I am building an Ocean Exploration Base.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: 
My parents' cuisine.

WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF YOUR WORK: The clinical impact of this work is uncertain until the humanised version of the drug is made, and tested in humans. If the drug is as successful as we found in rat models of PD, it has the potential to slow or halt the progressive mid-brain cell death in Parkinson’s disease in the most commonly affected cohort – males.

No comments:

Post a Comment