
POSITION / GROUP: Research Assistant, Viral and Immunopathology Reseach group, CiiiD
I WAS BORN IN: Singapore
BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS: A research assistant at Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute at the Heart Failure Pharmacology group looking at the role of an anti-inflammatory protein Annexin-A1 in type 1 diabetes.
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS: Getting to see my small contribution of work published in papers or talks, and hopefully may have contributed to a novel discovery that may have helped humanity.
I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE: First off biology was the subject which appealed most to me in school, and I continued on to do my Bachelor of biomedical science and here I am... It is both fascinating and progressive. I picked up many skills along the way and I learn something new every day.
IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE: An embryologist? Other than immunology, I did enjoy the neonatal development unit back in uni.
MY FIRST JOB WAS: Flipping burgers at Burger King (Hungry Jacks).
MY FAVOURITE MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM: Favourite movie is The Shawshank Redemption, and favourite TV show is Friends. If I’m watching with my children, it’d be Frozen 2 and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON: How the innate immune defences regulate antiviral responses.
THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: My 1 year old taking her first steps!
I AM LOOKING FORWARD: A COVID-19 vaccination.
MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: Monte Amiata in Piancastagnaio, Siena, Italy.
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: Swimming. There is something very tranquil to be underwater.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: Siam Thai Basil Restaurant… the concomitant flavour of spicy, sweet and savoury fills my belly and warms my soul.
THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: One quiet afternoon, my grandfather approached me and said “If you fall, just get back up”. Very random but it is indeed the best advice both metaphorically and physically!
As researchers, we know that unsuccessful experiments are common. Get back up and find a solution (no pun intended). With every difficulty, there is relief :)
I highly recommend everyone to do the Indigenous Cultural Awareness Foundations training. I really enjoyed finding out about the indigenous culture of this country and in particular, understanding what happened to the stolen generation made me so emotional.
Click here to access the Indigenous Cultural Awareness Foundations training.
No comments:
Post a Comment