Monday, March 23, 2020

Hudson People | Marle Poppelaars

POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Intern at the Firestein group (Functional Genomics), Centre for Cancer Research from November until June 2020.

I WAS BORN IN Oosterhout, The Netherlands.

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS studying at Maastricht University, in the Netherlands. The internship is part of my biomedical master graduation.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS I enjoy the variety and different aspects. It’s great to get closer, step-by-step, to solving a complex biomedical puzzle. Results often raise more questions than they actually answer, which motivates me to go further!

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE I never just accepted things the way they are. Instead, I always wanted to know why or how things work in certain way and if there are ways to improve it. That’s why I think research and science are a good fit for me.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE taking on a job probably something to do with gastronomy and hospitality. It’s quite the opposite of science, but for some reason, I love doing it.

MY FIRST JOB WAS ... If I go back a very long time, my first teenage job was bringing the newspapers around in town and working in a theme park. I’m still waiting to get my first ‘adult’ job!

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS ... That’s a very difficult question, as I love (almost) everything! I think I would go for Into the Wild and the Boat That Rocked, but I can also enjoy a good guilty pleasure like Gossip Girl.

I AM WORKING ON ... In my project, I’m working on exploring the role of cyclin dependent mediator kinases on both organismal and intestinal homeostasis.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR ... The year has only just started, so I’m guessing my highlight is yet to come! My parents came to visit me earlier this year. Showing them my home on the other side of the world was definitely great!

I AM LOOKING FORWARD to explore more of the amazing places in and around Melbourne and to discover more and more in my project.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD ... Apologies to all the Aussies, but I must say New Zealand!

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY spending time with friends, exploring, hiking, sailing, playing (bass) guitar and of course the beach.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT ... So far, that place is in the Netherlands (Chateau Neercanne). However, all our Asian colleagues are introducing me to some amazing food, so that might still change!

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED ... It’s a very cliché one from back in my sailing days, but nevertheless it’s true: “You can’t direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails”. And in terms of research: “Patience is key, science is a marathon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment