Friday, November 8, 2019

Hudson People | Gabrielle Bradshaw


POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE: CRISPR Screen Specialist, Hudson-Monash Paediatric Precision Medicine Program, Centre for Cancer Research

I WAS BORN IN: Cape Town, South Africa.

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I completed my PhD in Genomics at the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation at Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane. Prior to that I worked as a Medical Scientist in South Africa.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS learning new functional genomics techniques including primary brain cancer cell culture, lentiviral transduction and pooled CRISPR/Cas9 screens, as well as being part of a dynamic team to identify novel drug targets for individual paediatric brain tumour patients.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE I have always been interested in human genetics and gene therapy and I wanted to contribute to the research and molecular therapies that are helping to cure different types of cancer and monogenic diseases. When I first learned about the CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing technology I became more interested in gene therapy/editing and wanted to become more involved as I knew it would become a game changer in the field of molecular medicine.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE A trophy wife!

MY FIRST JOB WAS medical laboratory technologist in the Haematology department at the National Health Laboratory Service in Johannesburg, South Africa.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS Forrest Gump.

I AM WORKING ON saving up to travel to Europe with my partner who has never been and wants to visit Germany and Norway.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR was completing my PhD thesis, although I am still waiting for my corrections!

I AM LOOKING FORWARD to my graduation (next year July) and becoming a permanent resident in Australia, and then hopefully a citizen.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD is Borneo.

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY travelling, eating out, yoga, spending time at home with my partner Robbie and two cheeky cockatiels, Mango and Denzel.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT ... anywhere Asian and vegetarian, i.e. Malaysian, Thai, Japanese, Indian.

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: Always be yourself, otherwise be a unicorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment