Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Hudson People - Madara Ratnadiwakara


POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE: Postdoctoral Scientist, RNA Biology in Health and Disease, CRH and CCR

I WAS BORN IN 
Sri Lanka

BEFORE HUDSON I WAS DOING I was working as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute, Monash University.

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS getting paid for doing what I love. It is challenging and never dull as no two days are the same and it often bounces me off my comfort zones forcing me to take on new intellectual challenges.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE while there is a definite element of self-indulgence, what motivated me most in choosing this career is my desire to exceed the boundaries of what was previously known and thereby finding better ways to improve the health outcomes of people.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE a school teacher.

MY FIRST JOB WAS Junior Medical Scientist at a genetic diagnostic laboratory.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS ... it is near impossible to settle on one!

I AM WORKING ON RNA biology and how various RNA processing machineries fine-tune the gene expression programmes during development and disease. I am specifically focusing on understanding the role of RNA binding proteins in cancer development and progression.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR is joining the Hudson Institute of Medical Research.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD to a day when my discoveries will be translated to the clinic.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD is Kandy (my hometown in Sri Lanka).

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY reading, spending time with family and friends as well as contributing to various charity projects. Currently I am running
a campaign for Bowel Cancer Australia to spread much needed awareness on bowel cancer and to raise funds for bowel cancer research.

Here is a link to
my fundraising page. Your donation can give me the boost I need to reach my target and support Bowel Cancer Australia. Every dollar counts and any donation big or small will help make a difference.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT is at Piatella Café Bar in Glen Waverley.

WHAT’S ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO EMERGING RESEARCHERS? Becoming a scientist takes many years of training, dedication and hard work. As much as I love my job, not every day is fabulous. It can sometimes be frustrating and as many other jobs, it has an element of insecurity. But, if you ask me if it’s all worth it, my answer is a solid YES. While I am still learning my lessons, I strongly believe that it is important to stay motivated and try to focus on the positive side to make the most of this enriching and rewarding career.






No comments:

Post a Comment