Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Hudson People - Graeme Polglase



POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Research Group Head, Perinatal Transition Group, The Ritchie Centre

I WAS BORN IN Auckland, New Zealand but am as Australian as they come. Even support Australia in the Rugby.

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS DOING a post-doctorate position at The School of Women’s and Infants Health at the University of Western Australia.


THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS getting to do research on something that I am passionate about with a great bunch of people.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE I was passionate about finding cures or treatments for sick newborns. Am still trying.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE a pilot in the Air Force, followed by a cushy job at Qantas.

MY FIRST JOB WAS an indoor cricket umpire – even got on TV once.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS Top Gun, closely followed by Starship Troopers and Dodgeball.

I AM WORKING ON trying to improve immediate and long term respiratory, cardiovascular and neurological outcomes for infants born preterm and/or compromised.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR coaching my son’s team to their first premiership in basketball.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD to winning Powerball. But perhaps more realistically, travelling overseas with my family.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD probably Rome, Italy, but Mana Island in Fiji gets a huge thumbs up.

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY playing and coaching basketball at domestic and representative level.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT anywhere that doesn’t require me to cook. Am partial to Thai, Vietnamese and Indian food, oh and a decent steak!

WHAT’S ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO EMERGING RESEARCHERS? Balancing life commitments, recommended skill to develop. Ensure you have a way of escaping the rigours of science. You never stop thinking about work in our field, but you do need to compartmentalise it somehow. For me that is through basketball and being involved with my children’s sporting clubs. Spending time with my wife and family keeps me grounded and sane, and makes you focus on the most important things in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment