Thursday, June 14, 2018

HUDSON PEOPLE - Colin Clyne / Morag Young



POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE  
Colin: Head, Cancer Drug Discovery Laboratory, CEM
Morag: Head: Cardiovascular Endocrinology Laboratory, CEM

I WAS BORN IN 
Colin: Glasgow, Scotland.
Morag: Melbourne 

BEFORE HUDSON INSTITUTE I WAS DOING 
We were both postdoctoral researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre in Dallas. Very inspiring to have four Nobel Prize winners on the Faculty (and yes - that’s where we met). 

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS 
Colin: Working with people who genuinely believe in, and care deeply about, what they do.
Morag: working with people (at Hudson Institute and around the world) who genuinely believe in, and care deeply about, what they do.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE 
Colin: I like detail, and always want to know more / why / how
Morag: The problem solving part of science is endlessly fascinating plus you might eventually help someone down the track…in a way that may not be predictable at the start.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE 
Colin: When I left school, I intended to study music but switched to science at the last minute. So, if I wasn’t a scientist I’d probably be an out-of-work-musician
Morag: I started science engineering when I first went to uni so perhaps an engineer, if medical science had not been so appealing…

MY FIRST JOB WAS 
Colin: Pianist in the cocktail lounge of the Station Hotel in Ayr (Comment from Morag: apparently he had to wear a white tuxedo….)
Morag: Age 7 or 8 working in Dad’s shop (Readings Books and Records) on the holidays putting protective plastic covers on records. 1c per cover - my sister and I made $5.00 one day. The cash register was much more fun - we had to prove we could add and subtract in our heads before we were allowed to have a go.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS 
Colin: I really like good science fiction as social commentary. There are a couple of scenes in Minority Report (2002) dealing with facial recognition for targeted advertising – it seemed so far-fetched and obtrusive at the time, but it’s pretty much here today…
Morag: Too many to chose from: “Trolljegeren” stands out as a quirky thriller that was very funny, “Paris” (central character had heart disease BTW) and “Magnolia” (like a tragic opera) and “A Pure Formality” (dark, French, suspense).

I AM WORKING ON 
Colin: Understanding how breast cancer cells become resistant to hormone therapies. And the Saint Saëns clarinet sonata.
Morag: Understanding how the mineralocorticoid receptor and circadian clock regulate cells in the cardiovascular system and inflammatory cells to cause heart disease, and how to get more sleep.  

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR 
Colin: Seeing the delight in our daughters’ faces when we told them they could keep the rabbit that they found in the park
Morag: Convincing the family to walk in the Run Melbourne Event. 

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO
Colin: To building snowmen (snowpeople) with our girls at Mount Baw Baw in August
Morag: Any time I have with our girls

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
Colin: Tokyo is hard to beat, although I’m not sure I could live there. It’s great to visit, though.
Morag: West coast of Scotland

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Colin: Annoying family and neighbours with my clarinet. I have just learned how to play altissimo A (very high), and hope that our insurance covers shattered windows.
Morag: Adventures and art projects with our girls; music, but perhaps not the altissimo A on the clarinet. 

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
Colin: I like eating together as a family, and it’s sometimes tough to find somewhere that suits the kids. One thing we all agree on is sushi, so I’d have to say SushiSushi@Chadstone
Morag: Japanese sushi place, keeps everyone happy. We’re working up to tapas.

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED
Colin: Know what you don’t know
Morag: You have to do the crappy part of jobs well as well as the fun stuff (I think this is how Dad convinced me to do so many boring jobs at his shop!).


No comments:

Post a Comment