
The Ritchie Centre (TRC): Wallace/Lim Laboratory
Supervisor(s): Euan Wallace, Bryan Leaw, Padma Murthi
Degree: BMedSc (Honours)
What is the aim of your research?
To investigate a novel adjuvant therapy for the treatment of preeclampsia and investigate the disease pathophysiology.
What do you hope to achieve?
Despite the significant health consequences for both mother and child, preeclampsia remains a disease for which there is little in the way of treatment. I hope to enhance medical understanding of this disease, by exploring the complex mechanisms behind disease progression. In doing so, I aim to facilitate progression in the medical management of this condition, so that we have more to offer women diagnosed with this disease.
Furthermore, I have always been interested in science and through my time in the lab I hope to develop laboratory skills, increase my understanding of the basic sciences and experience a different side of medicine.
Why did you choose Hudson Institute for your PhD?
My interest in obstetric medicine prompted me to choose a center with a significant women’s health research facility. Being attached to one of the largest tertiary obstetric centers in Victoria makes the Hudson institute ideal for obstetric research.
Why did you choose your research group?
After completing a rotation in Women’s health I developed an interest in obstetrics, in particular complications of pregnancy, such as preeclampsia. For this reason, I looked for a research group that offered a laboratory-based project investigating the physiological mechanisms behind maternal disease states. I found a project advertised by the Wallace/Lim group, which catered to this through in vitro studies of preeclampsia.
What has being at Hudson Institute helped you achieve?
When I began at the Hudson institute, I had absolutely no experience in basic science, was unsure how to hold a pipette and just wanted to play with the centrifuge. However, during my time researching, I have developed many lab skills, have cultivated a curiosity and love for science and now get to play with the megafuge. Above all else I have learned the importance of establishing a supportive group of friends, enjoying the work and celebrating any small successes, particularly given the inevitable mistakes and failures of science.
From a medical perspective, my time at the Hudson institute has taught me the crucial nature of biochemical science as a foundation for modern medicine and to ensure ongoing medical advancements.
What are the potential clinical benefits of your research?
My project is applicable to clinical medicine as I am researching novel therapeutics for preeclampsia, a disease that remains a leading cause of maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality globally. In a more general sense, by investigating the pathways behind disease development I hope to add to medical understanding of this condition, which will, in turn, facilitate the development of targeted therapeutics.
What is student life like at Hudson Institute?
Spending time surrounded by like-minded students experiencing similar successes and tribulations fosters a supportive and cohesive network where it is easy to establish friendships.
What did you do before starting your PhD?
I completed my first four years of a Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery prior to commencing a BmedSci research year.
No comments:
Post a Comment