NAME
Mai Sarraj
Mai Sarraj
POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Grants Officer /SSG
I WAS BORN IN
Lebanon
BEFORE HUDSON INSTIUTE I WAS
DOING
In 2004, I completed
a PhD from Melbourne University, Paediatrics at Murdoch Children’s Research
Institute. My research was on the genetics of how a boy or a girl develops in
the womb of a mother.
I then joined MIMR
as a post-doc with Professor Kate Loveland’s group and in 2007 was awarded the
Prince Henry’s Ramsey fellowship to join Professor Jock Findlay’s group. Technically
the only place I worked in since my PhD graduation is Hudson Institute!
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Seeing a smile on a
researcher’s face after the success of a grant submitted which makes me so
happy and excited about my job.
I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
Research has been my
passion for years. After finishing my work on an NHMRC New Investigator grant,
I joined Prince Henry’s Grant Office to assist with Grants submission. After
the merger I started managing the Hudson Institute grants and I fell in love with my new
job which grew to become my new career path.
IF I WASN’T DOING
THIS JOB I WOULD BE A
A researcher and
would continue my work in the area of Reproductive Biology which is a great
field that I had built experience and a large network in.
MY FIRST JOB WAS
I started as a
research assistant in Kuwait University at the Microbiology Department, Faculty
of Medicine. My first boss inspired my love of research and encouraged me to
continue my studies. In 1992, and due to the Gulf war we migrated to Australia
which opened doors for me to pursue a Master in Microbiology then a PhD.
MY FAVOURITE
MOVIE/TV IS
Documentaries on
National Geographic and reality TV such as cooking shows and Goggle Box.
I AM WORKING ON
Numerous
submissions, fellowship interviews, assisting researchers with various
inquiries and facilitating a number of reports.
THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
On Grants Office
level, a highlight was hearing about a number of successful international
grants secured by Hudson Institute researchers. On a personal level being a co-author on
a recently published paper and attending the graduation of my daughter for her
completion of a Masters Degree in education.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD
Attracting more
funding to Hudson Institute researchers and having a nice family holiday sometime soon.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
Tasmania locally and
Medina internationally. I find both places so spiritual, peaceful and
meditating.
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Watercolour painting, specially botanical art and my latest piece is on autumn
oak leaves and acorns.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
I love all types of
food and my favourite place to eat is authentic Middle Eastern Restaurants.
THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED
“Keep optimistic and see opportunity in every difficulty”. Positive thinking always works to put me on track when I face hard situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment