NAME
Jun Yang
POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Post-doctoral research fellow in CEM’s Cardiovascular
Endocrinology Lab headed by Dr Morag Young, and consultant endocrinologist at
Monash Health
I WAS BORN IN
Nanjing, China – Nanjing is not as famous as Beijing, but it was
the old capital of China.
BEFORE HUDSON
I WAS DOING
Research at Prince Henry’s Institute! And managing patients’
endocrine problems at Monash Health.
THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Exploring problems encountered in the clinic with
scientific methods and using the laboratory findings to influence clinical
practice. This is obviously easier said
than done, and requires patience, diligence, funding support and possibly a bit
of luck!
I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
I always wanted to understand the “why” and
“how” behind diseases and their treatments.
I also had very wise and supportive mentors along the way who inspired
me to pursue research rather than just clinical practice.
IF I WASN’T
DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE
A primary school teacher – a strong foundation in
education is probably the most important gift to a child.
MY FIRST JOB WAS
Delivering local Leader newspapers on foot at age 13.
MY FAVOURITE
MOVIE/TV IS
Star Wars IV-VII and The Sound of Music, and any children’s movies
that my kids would like to watch
I AM WORKING ON
Going to sleep earlier, finishing my training as Joey Scout
Leader (> 40 hours of online modules to complete!) and finding the best
camping spots for 2017.
THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
(From a work perspective) is the development of
the new Endocrine Hypertension Clinic at Hudson which will hopefully merge
evidence-based clinical practice with laboratory research AND seeing my first
BMedSci student pass with flying colours.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD
To the holidays (as always...) and carrying out the
proposed research project to evaluate how many hypertensive patients are
affected by primary aldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome) in our community.
MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD IS
Home.
OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Camping, cooking, hanging out with my three little boys
and volunteering at my kids’ school (especially teaching them about science and
endocrinology, and making jam for School Fair)
MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
Is my parents’
house – how can any restaurant beat 12 course banquets made with love?
THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED
“Don’t think of your work as have to, but get
to”. Eg. I HAVE to prepare a talk vs. I
GET to prepare a talk... we are so lucky to GET to do so much!

No comments:
Post a Comment