Monday, October 17, 2016

Trip to Japan enables award, lab visits


Kanokwan (Nok) Srirattana, a PhD student in the Centre for Genetic Diseases, has just returned from a trip to Japan, thanks to a travel grant from the Harold Mitchell Foundation.

Nok attended the 17th Animal Science Congress of Asian Australasian Animal Production (AAAP), held by Japanese Society of Animal Science (JSAS) at Kyushu Sangyo University, Fukuoka, Japan.

“Here I gained considerable knowledge about new techniques to enhance the production of embryos and an update on large animal research for the generation of large animal models for biomedical research,” Nok said.

“I received some excellent comments and ideas to enhance my experimental outcomes.”

Nok was awarded the Young Scientists Award/ JSAS Excellent Presentation Award from the Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies for her presentation at the conference.

She received the 15,000 Yen ($195 AUD) prize for her talk titled “The effects of different oocyte mtDNA haplotypes on somatic cell nuclear transfer embryos”.

Nok also undertook two laboratory visits in Japan – to Prof. Teruhiko Wakayama’s lab at the University of Yamanashi, and to Dr. Tamas Somfai’s lab at the National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science.

“I learnt new techniques on embryo production using the Piezo micromanipulation system and oocyte and embryo freezing,” Nok said.

“I also received invaluable comments and suggestions for my experiments. I also very much enjoyed interacting with other students and scientists in both labs.”

Nok wishes to thank the AAAP committees for selecting our abstract for oral presentation and the Harold Mitchell Foundation for the travel grant which enabled her to attend the conference and to undertake the lab visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment