Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Hudson People - Dr Peter Stanton

NAME
Peter Stanton

POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Head, Male Fertility Regulation Lab
Centre for Reproductive Health

I WAS BORN IN
Launceston, Tasmania

BEFORE HUDSON I WAS DOING
Research Officer at Monash University Biochem Department

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
The thrill when a manuscript is accepted

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
I think it chose me – I received good marks in biochemistry, and then had a great Honours year, so I kept on going. It’s always been interesting and always a challenge.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD...
Mow lawns!

MY FIRST JOB WAS
Vacation field work assessing eucalypt regeneration following logging operations in the back blocks of Tassie by Gunns (a well-known Tasmanian forestry enterprise). My first full-time job was as a research assistant at St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research, funded by an NHMRC project grant.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS
West Wing! An oldie but a goodie.

I AM WORKING ON
A new test to diagnose male infertility

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
Travelling with my wife Elspeth in rural southern France

I AM LOOKING FORWARD
I’d like to spend some time visiting WWI battlefields in Belgium & France where my grandfather once was.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
Any national park – the Prom, Cradle Mountain, Wilpena Pound, Kangaroo Island, but the best is summertime camping on top of Mt Buffalo (when grant-writing allows…)

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Being with my family, plus a good bit of DIY around the house

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
Our local Indian (Ganesh, Blackburn) because it’s within walking distance from home

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED
The data IS the data. If it doesn’t fit your expectations, then it’s time to think again and change your hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment