Wednesday, October 19, 2016

HUDSON PEOPLE - Dr Jemma Evans



NAME:
Jemma Evans


POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE: 
Senior Research Officer, Uterine Biology, Centre for Reproductive Health


I WAS BORN IN: 
Church Village, South Wales


BEFORE HUDSON I WAS DOING: 
A PhD at the Human Reproductive Sciences Unit in Edinburgh....... along with trying to teach some very reluctant med students how to be doctors


THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Dreaming up projects that could one day lead to a breakthrough and actually help people. Also, playing with coloured liquids, because that’s what all scientists do, right? I saw it on TV so it must be true!


I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE: 
Playing in a lab is really awesome – its the grown up equivalent of playing with sand and water...... and obviously the long term hope that your discoveries are going to help actual real people


IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE A: 
Well, if you’d asked me when I was 8 I would have said professional gymnast, these days it would be cake baker extraordinaire


MY FIRST JOB WAS: 
In a UK clothing chain called River Island. On my first day I was the store greeter, standing in the doorway handing out catalogues etc. At the end of a surprisingly long first day standing up I sat down and fell asleep with customers still in the store, there very nearly wasn’t a second day.....


MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS: 
Die Hard, or any movie with a bald guy getting into fights (I’m looking at you Bruce Willis and Jason Statham)


I AM WORKING ON: 
My tan. Celtic skin = little success


THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR: 
My amazing students! I’ve been so impressed with the effort my students have out in this year and the quality of work they have produced, despite the stress, sweat and tears


I AM LOOKING FORWARD: 
To being a mum for the first time, roll on December!


MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD: 
Falls festival in Marion Bay, Tasmania. Its an incredible place to watch some of the best bands in the world and ring in the New Year.


OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY: 
Being outside as much as possible, rowing, cycling, hiking etc


MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT: 
Fish and chip shop, Picnic Bay, Magnetic Island. Eating just caught fish right on the beach with a local beer is hard to beat


THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED: 
Just go for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment