Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hudson People - Rod Gillett

NAME
Rod Gillett

POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE
Buildings and Purchasing Manager SSG

I WAS BORN IN
Geelong Victoria

BEFORE HUDSON I WAS DOING
Managing hotels

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
The diverse issues we are confronted with in Purchasing, and the ways we can help researchers with leading edge technologies.

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
It's always a challenge and I love working with people that make a difference in other people's lives.

IF I WASN’T DOING THIS JOB I WOULD BE
On my farm or travelling.

MY FIRST JOB WAS
Station hand (woolclasser) on a large sheep station in Western Victoria.

MY FAVOURITE MOVIE/TV IS
Game of Thrones

I AM WORKING ON
Contracts for 2017 and retirement.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
My second grandson was born.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO
Several things: Geelong Cats winning the 2016 premiership, finishing up on December 30 and handing the reins to fresh eyes, spending time with family and travelling lots with our ‘travel business’ SO come and see me for the DEAL. Maybe even get back into theatre or open a wine bar.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
My farm in Garfield - yes I travel in and out every day. It's named ‘Casela Park’ after a zoo. We have 26 horses, 6 cows, 50+ sheep and goats, chooks, ducks, cats and dogs, along with a few feral foxes, rabbits, snakes etc.

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Farming, footy, travelling and family.
What most people don’t know about me is that I'm from the Western district, I got expelled from St Patricks College in Ballarat and started working at 15 years of age.
I played footy with Geelong under the ‘father son rule’, as my father played the 1962/63 seasons for the team. I used to run six different hotels in Ballarat and Melbourne.
I was in theatre and did a few movies for about 12 years. I am married with 2 adult children.

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
River Kwai and Pings, both in Clayton.

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED

Two things:
“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!”
― Richard Branson

“Take big strides and plenty of them” when walking
– My late father.

No comments:

Post a Comment