Centre for Reproductive Health
Research Group: Endometrial Remodelling Laboratory
Research Group: Endometrial Remodelling Laboratory
Supervisor: Professor Lois Salamonsen
Degree 3rd year PhD student
What are the potential clinical benefits of your research?
My research aims to investigate whether a disturbance in the development of the lining of the uterus, the endometrium, during the proliferative phase of a woman's menstrual cycle may contribute to female infertility. By identifying changes in the development of the endometrium between fertile and infertile women, we may be able to develop novel treatments for infertility in women.
My research aims to investigate whether a disturbance in the development of the lining of the uterus, the endometrium, during the proliferative phase of a woman's menstrual cycle may contribute to female infertility. By identifying changes in the development of the endometrium between fertile and infertile women, we may be able to develop novel treatments for infertility in women.
Why did you choose Hudson Institute?
I have always been interested in reproduction and knew that I wanted to do research in female reproduction and women's health in particular. When I was looking for an honours project, the Centre Head, Lois Salamonsen's lab was recommended to me.
I have always been interested in reproduction and knew that I wanted to do research in female reproduction and women's health in particular. When I was looking for an honours project, the Centre Head, Lois Salamonsen's lab was recommended to me.
I enjoyed my Honours research a great deal, as well as the strong student culture at Hudson Institute, and so I stayed on to do a PhD in the Endometrial Remodelling lab.
What do you enjoy about your research?
I enjoy the hands-on aspect and the fact that every day is different. It's exciting to be at the forefront of research into female reproduction and infertility.
What is life like as a student at Hudson Institute?
I enjoy the hands-on aspect and the fact that every day is different. It's exciting to be at the forefront of research into female reproduction and infertility.
What is life like as a student at Hudson Institute?
There are lots of opportunities to get involved in different events and activities as a student at the Hudson. I was fortunate to have been involved in the Hudson Institute Student Society (HISS) for three years as Assistant Treasurer, President and Secretary.
Each year HISS runs some fantastic events such as a Trivia Night, 3 Minute Thesis Competition, International Food Day, International Women's Day BBQ, Student Christmas Party and the annual Student Symposium.
These events create a cohesive, supportive and friendly environment for all students at Hudson Institute.
What has been a student at Hudson Institute helped you achieve?
Being a student at Hudson Institute has exposed me to life as a researcher at an independent medical research institute focused on translational research.
Being a student at Hudson Institute has exposed me to life as a researcher at an independent medical research institute focused on translational research.
I don't think I would have had this same experience if I had conducted my project on campus at the university.
Conducting research at Hudson Institute helps to put medical research in context and helps you to understand how what we do in the lab can then be used in the clinic and hospital.
Describe a typical day in the lab.
A typical lab day involves planning and conducting experiments, checking on my cells, meeting with my supervisors, writing up results and protocols, attending student society meetings and chatting to my fellow peers.
A typical lab day involves planning and conducting experiments, checking on my cells, meeting with my supervisors, writing up results and protocols, attending student society meetings and chatting to my fellow peers.
No comments:
Post a Comment