Friday, July 8, 2016

PhD Student Hannah Loke accepted into neuroscience schools

Centre for Reproductive Health PhD student, Hannah Loke has been accepted into two prestigious schools of neuroscience.

A student in the Brain and Gender Lab, Hannah will attend the International Brain Research Organisation
APRC Associate School of Neuroscience in Malaysia (August 8-14).

H
annah will also travel to Austria for the International Society for Neurochemistry- Journal of Neurochemistry Flagship School (September 12-18). Her expenses are covered by both of these schools.

Hannah’s research is examining the
classic male testis gene, sex determining region Y (SRY) as a potential male susceptibility factor to Parkinson’s disease, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other dopamine related disorders.

Hannah says she is excited to share her research and learn from her peers.

“
As one of my PhD projects is to study Parkinson’s disease rodent models and to explore how SRY could be a male susceptibility factor for Parkinson’s disease, I am excited by the huge practical component during the IBRO-APRC Associate School of Neuroscience,” Hannah said.

“I expect that the knowledge I gain from this program will help me better assess my current experimental models in Parkinson’s disease, making them more relevant to potential clinical therapies.

“
The insight and feedback I expect to receive from other attendees will be invaluable to my research, and add a dimension of expert independent opinion to my existing research.

“I expect this program to give me more confidence and comprehensive knowledge to carry out various experimental techniques,” she said.

Hannah is also confident that the 
ISN-JSC School will help to broaden her existing knowledge.

“My other PhD project is studying the role of SRY underlying the male bias in ADHD,” Hannah said.


“I was attracted to the ISN-JNC Flagship School when I discovered that the topics would include molecular and cell biology of areas such as critical periods and developmental plasticity, motor learning and associative learning."


No comments:

Post a Comment