Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Hudson People - Dr Erin McGillick

NAME 
Dr Erin McGillick

POSITION / GROUP / CENTRE

Postdoctoral Fellow, Hooper Group, The Ritchie Centre

I WAS BORN IN

Adelaide, South Australia

BEFORE HUDSON I WAS DOING
My undergraduate degree in Laboratory Medicine and PhD in Medical Science at the University of South Australia

THE BEST PART OF MY JOB IS
Being able to ask complex questions to gain a greater understating of the effect of pregnancy complications on risk of respiratory complications at birth

I CHOSE THIS CAREER PATH BECAUSE
I had a keen interest in respiratory physiology and fetal development.
This fascination with lung development is driven by the ambition to make a difference and understand mechanisms contributing to health and disease

MY FIRST JOB WAS
At a bakery (Baker’s Delight)

MY FAVOURITE TV SHOW IS
Grey’s Anatomy

I AM WORKING ON
Understanding the effect of altered intrauterine conditions during pregnancy on functional, molecular and structural regulation of lung development and the cardiorespiratory transition at birth. My research to date has had a particular focus on very preterm birth, gestational diabetes, maternal overnutrition and chronic hypoxemia associated with intrauterine growth restriction

THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR SO FAR
Completing my PhD

I AM LOOKING FORWARD
To travelling back to Adelaide to graduate in August

MY FAVOURITE PLACE IN THE WORLD
Is Cambridge (UK) where I was lucky enough to spend time working during my PhD

OUTSIDE OF WORK I ENJOY
Attending musical performances, particularly jazz and classical concerts

MY FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT
Gaucho’s Argentinian Restaurant - the best steak in Adelaide!

THE BEST ADVICE I'VE RECEIVED

‘Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm’ -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment