Alan is a neuroscientist, engineer, entrepreneur and philanthropist, and the former Chancellor of Monash University.
Alan has been a supporter of the Institute for many years, both before and during his tenure as chancellor of Monash University.
Alan’s son, Alex Finkel, who is now working for Google, studied under Professor Paul Hertzog in the Centre for Innate Immunity and Infectious Diseases.
This was Alan’s first visit to the Translational Research Facility since its official opening.
We showed Alan around the TRF, focusing on the floors most directly and immediately associated with translational research - the platform technologies and clinical floors, including the new biospherics cabinets, which will be used for cell therapies.
I emphasised the importance of the continuation of the Therapeutic Innovation Australia (TIA) funding program to support the biospherics cabinets in the future.
On the clinical floor, we observed patients already taking part in clinical trials.
Alan was very impressed with the TRF, and is looking forward to returning in the New Year.
I also took the opportunity to discuss with Alan the Federal Government’s new Innovation Statement, announced by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last week, and his new role as Chief Scientist.
Alan will report directly into the Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, and this line of communication is a very important one, not only for the Hudson Institute, but for all researchers.
As we reach the end of 2015, I wish to thank you all for your patience and co-operation throughout this sometimes challenging, but overall, immensely rewarding year.
It’s been a demanding year, with the planning of the move into the TRF, but I appreciate your collective hard work in ensuring this move has been as smooth a transition as possible.
I wish everyone a very safe and happy Festive Season, a relaxing break, and a prosperous New Year.
I look forward to seeing you all in 2016.
Best wishes,
Professor Bryan Williams
Hudson Institute Director

No comments:
Post a Comment